Growing up in Switzerland, one of my earliest memories was of my grandmother patiently teaching me how to sew. This early passion for all things handmade later led me to practice pottery, darkroom photography, attend design classes at Parson's School of Design in New York City, and learn the art of Ikebana, or Japanese flower arrangements. I love fabrics of all kinds, hand-dyed or commercially available and truly enjoy the process of cutting and piecing and adding the top stitching to enhance the visual effect.
I have lived in New York City and the New York Catskills most of my adult life. My work has been called fiber art, textile art, fabric collage, or art quilting, but I am a contemporary art quilter. Initially starting out with traditional designs, in 2003 I made my first art quilt "Liberation" followed by "Point and Line and Plane" after reading Wassily Kandinsky's book by that name.
I sign my quilts "Mietzi" (for InterPet), after the real "Mietzi," my first cat at Firmament Farm in the New York
Catskills. "InterPet" is our family supported activity which promotes spaying/neutering and adoptions
of cats and dogs. A portion of the proceeds of quilt sales are donated to InterPet.
My work has been featured in "Quilting Arts" and "Love of Quilting," in the Newsday blog, and as an Artist Feature in
"The Catskill Mountain Region Guide magazine."
Teaching engagements include the Sullivan County Community College, local quilting guilds,
The Frost Valley YMCA, NY and Liberty High School, NY. I am a
member of Studio Art Quilt Associates, an international organization promoting
art quilting, and the Fiber Revolution, a network of professional textile artists combining their knowledge and experience in marketing to exhibit and sell their artwork. In 2011 I was inducted into the Catskill Mountain Quilters Hall of Fame as the first art quilter to join. My work is sold in galleries, by commission and by referrals.
Juried and Selected Shows:
- Delaware Arts Alliance, "Nature-Interpretations in Fiber," Narrowsburg, NY, Summer 2012
- Martin Museum of Art, "Fragmentation," Waco, Texas, Summer 2012
- Quilting by the Lake, Syracuse, NY July 2011
- Windsor Art Center, Windsor, CT, "Identity", January 2011
- West Windsor Arts Council, Princeton, NJ, January 2011
- Kaaterskill Fine Arts Gallery, Hunter, NY, December 2010
- Botswana Crafts, Botswana, November 2010
- Fiber Revolution in Russia, Pushkin Library, St. Petersburg, Russia, Summer 2010
- AQS Quilt Show Lancaster, juried, Semifinalist, March 2010
- Delaware Arts Center for Contemporary Arts, Wilmington, DE, February 2010
- AQS Quilt Show, Des Moines, Iowa, Semifinalist, October 2009
- Patchwork Quilt Show, Solothurn, Switzerland, Juried, June 2009
- Latimer Quilt and Textile Center, Tillamook, OR, May 2009.
- Greene County Council on the Arts, Catskill, NY, juried, solo, January 2009.
- Tactile Architecture, International Quilt Market, Houston, TX, October 2008.
- BotswanaCraft, Botswana, November 2008.
- Joburg Quilts Festival, Johannesburg, South Africa, September 2008.
- University of Connecticut, Stamford, CT, Fall 2008.
- The Riverfront Renaissance Center for the Arts, Millville, NJ, September 2008.
- Windsor Art Center, Windsor, CT, March 2008.
- Textures Gallery, Scottsdale, Az, juried, March 2008.
- Red Eft Gallery, Wurtsboro, NY, October 2007.
- Sagatuck Art Center, Michigan, juried, September 2007.
- Museum of American Quilter's Society, Paducah, KY, juried, November 2007.
- Emroiderer’s Guild of America, Louisville, KY, juried, June-July 2007.
- Sugar Maples Faculty Show, May-June, 2007.
- Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, juried two person show, December 2006.
- Georgian Court University, Lakewood, NJ, October 2006.
- Riverfront Renaissance Center for the Arts, Melville, NJ, August 2006.
- Patchwork & Quilt Expo, Lyon, France, September 2006.
- Tactile Architecture, International Quilt Market, Houston, Texas, Fall 2006.
- Slater Memorial Museum, June-August 2006.
- Quilter's Heritage Celebration, Lancaster PA, March 2006.
- J&J World Headquarters, "Renewal", May 2006.
- Catskill Art Society, March 2006.
- Swizz Manhattan, New York City, November 2005 - March 2006.
- Roxbury Art Group, Roxbury, NY, September 2005.
- Art Quilters Alliance of NY, traveling group trunk show, 2005/2006.
- Quilting by the Lake, group show, July 2005.
- Quilts=Art=Quilts, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY, juried, December 2004.
- Catskill Art Society, "Colors & Crafts: Artists Make Crafts, 2004.
- Wildwood Gallery, group show, August 2004.
- Blue Victorian Gallery, Jeffersonville, NY, June/July 2004.
- Sullivan County Community College, February 2004.
- Fine Craft Exhibition, Pen & Brush Gallery, New York City, November 2003.
- Quilts=Art=Quilts, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY, juried, December 2003.
- Roscoe Arts Festival, group show by invitation, August 2003.
- Great Catskill Mountain Quilt Show, Hunter, NY, July 2003.
- Catskill Art Society: Women Artists of the Catskills Juried group show, July 2003
- Mountaintop Gallery Windham, N.Y., Juried, Green County Council on the Arts, March 2003.
- Artist for National Christmas Tree: Washington DC, One of five artisans from New York State to make a
Christmas ornament for the 2002 White House Christmas Tree.
- Catskill Art Society October, "October Colors and Crafts, 2002."
- Harvest of Quilts September, Pine Bush: juried, awarded third place and honorable mention for categories "machine piecing and machine quilting", 2002.